Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Lost in Translation

At dinner the other night, we had another interesting family conversation. It went like this:

Me & Joe were making various comments picking on Em's "new boyfriend" (who's neither her boyfriend or new, but that's besides the point). We're all eating dessert at the time, which might have added to the confusion/weirdness.

Em: Passes me her phone, with pic of him. [Then it got weird...]

Me: You know, he's really not all that cute. [actually, he is kind of, for a 7th grade kid; I was just teasing to see what she would do/say]

Em: Yeah, he's not really.

Me: (thoroughly perplexed) Um. Really? Then why are you with him. Is he rich?

Em: well, yeah.

Joe: You are your mother's daughter. [under his breathe, mostly; remember, Em is my STEP-daughter...]

Me: No really, why are you with him?

Em: He's nice to me?

Me: (flabbergasted at the utter lack of shallowness in my teenager. Not from my bloodline, apparently...) *silence*

Travis: Let me see him. (gets phone) Yeah. he's not cute.

Me: But, that's OK that he's not, if he's nice to her. Although, if it's the person you love, you should think they're good looking even if no one else does.

Em: What-ever.

Travis: But you're still pretty mom. [I LOVE when he just throws that out there!]

Me: Aw - thanks kiddo! Is there anyone prettier than your mommy? [OK - fishing for a bigger ego boost - I asked for the rest of this conversation just from asking that!]

Travis: Just one. Jesus' mom. [This is the one person we've agreed is OK to be prettier than me in his eyes.]

Me: You know, there can be one other person prettier than me.

Travis: Really? I don't think so. Who?

Me: Well you can think your wife is prettier me.

Travis: Who's my wife?

Me: I don't know yet, but when you get married, she should be prettier to you than I am.

Travis: I'm not married.

Me: No, you're not. But when you DO get married, you should think she's prettier than me. [beginning to realize this is a futile conversation.]

Travis: Then, you're my wife?

Me: No, I'm your mommy. I'm daddy's wife.

Travis: Oh....so....Daddy's prettier than you?

Me: HUH?

Joe: That's right, I'm prettier than you.

Lots of laughter from everyone. *sigh*

Lesson of the day: Never try to discuss future brides with a 6 year old.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hey! had no idea you were in the blogging world...thanks for stopping by and visiting my little space, and letting me know you were there! i'll be sure to check in with yours from time to time too! =)

The Knedler Clan said...

See, that's why we should all eat dinner together as a family:) Just think of the memories you'll have to share once he DOES get married!