Monday, August 27, 2007

Unwritten

For homework last week, Emily was given a project to pick a song that was "hers". She was having a hard time with this idea and apparently spent three days looking for the right song. I gave her the first one that came to mind for her - "Unwritten"

She was really excited and said "How do you do that?!?!" She really loves that song, but didn't have a clue why I thought it was a good song to describe her.

I spent the next 20 minutes working through some of the lyrics with her, explaining some of the ideas. Like how her life is currently unwritten and she can decide what words go in it. That she can learn to "user her words" in more adult situation and learn to follow her own heart instead of the crowd.

I have to say, I'm usually pretty proud of the choices makes in life. She makes friends with the new students first, she invites the "least popular" of her friends over for our parties, she cheers on everyone on her soccer team (not just the playmakers), she works well with the boys - even when forced, and she gets amazing grades in school.

I know a lot of what I was telling her about her life being unwritten and she can make so many choices was a little over her head. But, she was really interested in reading the lyrics more ("on the bus tomorrow") and I think she really WANTED to understand.

A lot of it was definitely "parenty" words and thoughts. Things she won't get until she's 33, with kids of her own and a life she's still not 100% sure about of it. I look back at 7th grade and see so many things I could have done differently back then that would have changed where I am now.

But, the REST of my life is still unwritten. I mean, I have beautiful kids and a strong, normally suprtive spoouse, a good job that I (usually) like, great friends near and far, a wonderful church home where I'm integrated fairly heavily, etc. etc. etc. The only thing I still feel like I'm missing is a sense of purpose. Or, rather, a sense that I'm fulfilling God's purpose for my life. Some day, I believe my book will be completed when I discover and fulfill that purpose.

No comments: