Monday, August 27, 2007

Saving Grace (spoiler alert...)

So - there's a new show on TNT called Saving Grace (starring Holly Hunter, one of my all-time favorite actresses). It's really interesting and I love the concept.But, if you havne't seen the latest episode, you may not want to read this post. Small spoiler included herein.

One scene in the episode I saw tonight sort of hit me hard. Very simliar to the file cabinet scene in Bruce Almighty. For some reason, this one hit me harder than the Bruce version - maybe because it wasn't done with an edge of humor as much?

Anyway, in the scene, Earl (the angel) tells Grace she needs to stop lying. Grace replies that she does it just a little bit. And Earl proeeds to unroll a VERY long scroll. Only a little unrolls, but it's still very long. She asks what hat's supposed to be. Earl says "your idea of a little bit."

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not saying I realized I'm a huge horrible lying or anything like that. But, I did get to thinking that if God does indeed keep lists of that kind, I'm in deep kimshe (as my mom would say).

If you start racking up the ill-thoughts, the "white lies", the extremely petty thefts, the coveteous or adultrous thoughts, how many of us would have a short scroll? Because God doesn't see the difference between a white lie and afull-blown out to hurt someone lie. They're both falsehoods and a big "no no" in the land of commandments.

So - thanks Holly. Now I've got to start cleaning up my act over here lest they decide to make a new show called "Saving Terese"...

No comments: