Thursday, January 10, 2008

School Rules

Now, I understand the need for rules, especially in schools. But, I think there needs to be some leniency or judgement call ability on the part of teachers and the parents.

Today, Travis got sick right after lunch. He's always had a bit of reflux and has a serious allergy/sinus thing going on right now. Combine that with eating too much too fast at lunch and you get a kid who threw up in his lunchbox today. As soon as he cleared his tummy, he was FINE. Bouncing off the walls, crazy kid FINE. But, that made no difference to the school.

So, at 12:30pm, I pick him and his brother up. Now, my thought was that it was easier to just take Tom home with me, since they were really in the "daycare" portion of their day (a rant on half-day kindergarten to come later...) and it made more sense then go back for him 4 hours later (that part of school doesn't end until 3:50!). Made sense AT THE TIME. 30 minutes later, I was kicking myself.

Don't get me wrong. I love both boys and they're both pretty good kids. They just really need a break from one another. And we need a break from them together as parents. They're learning that together they are harder to discipline and control. A lot harder. Alone, they are amazingly wonderful little boys - loving, listening, and QUIET. Together, they are a run-through-the-house, weapons-from-Legos-making, insanity-causing stampede. It literally sounds like there are 10 kids here when they're playing together - and fighting together sounds like the chimp house at the Zoo!

But I digress. This whole day wouldn't have bugged me if he had actually been sick. If he had a fever or was in any manner showing any sign of illness, I would so love picking him up and tucking him into the couch with a movie, a Sprite and some crackers. But, he threw up just a little (what was said to be mostly mucus-y) and was ready to go again!

If the teacher and I could have had a say in what was going on with MY child, instead of following some arbitrary rule, he would have stayed at school and learned something today. He and his brother wouldn't have fought for hours. They wouldn't have had to stand in the corner so many times there's a permanent nose print there. Oh, and my day would have been much happier, too - and much healthier.

Oh well - tomorrow is Friday. Whoo. Hoo. I know most people look forward to weekend as more stress-free and relaxing. Me, however? It 2 1/2 days of pure kindergarten insanity. Kindergarten teachers hold a special place in my heart as they do a job that is very much needed in society and is very hard to do. Well, they are special to me except when they send the munchkins home early! =)

2 comments:

The Knedler Clan said...

Jackson is the same way - although he has gotten a lot better at not doing it. He use to be able to hurl any given second to get what he wanted to to get me to come get him. Luckily the girls at the YMCA know this and can tell when it's for attention. I so hope we don't run back into this next year in Kindergarten!Which, by the way is all day kindergarten !woohoo!!!

TnT Momma said...

All day knidergarten? No fair! I wish we were given an option based on our own kids development level. Some kids were stay-at-home for the first 5 years of their lives. Mine have been at full-day care (day care/preschool/whatever) since they were a year old! - half-day just didn't and doesn't make sense for them!!