Saturday, December 22, 2007

Where's My Man Card, Mommy?

For those of you of the male gender, you know there's this thing called a "man card". You get it for being manly (like controlling the remote, NOT putting the seat down no matter how many times the wife asks you, etc.) and not doing feminine things (like talking during sports, singing and/or dancing in public or even semi-public or crying for any reason).

My sons have been introduced to this concept already. Travis was dancing around the living room to some silly song he made up and was singing. My husband said "Dude, you're going to lose your man card for that!" [which then of course led to conversation to what a man card is, how you get one and how you lose one]. We are now treated to variations on a theme...

Me: Can you carry this package to the Christmas tree?
Travis: No....
Me: Please?
Travis: No, but I can take TWO.
Me: Great - you're the man!
Travis: [upon his return from a trip to the tree] You're right, I'm a man momma! (strikes a body-builder pose) Where's my man card woman?

Later...

Me: (singing some KidStuf song for church) Wanna dance?
Travis: Nope. I'm a man momma. We don't dance.
Me: Please? I need someone to be silly with.
Travis: OH, Okay. But don't tell Daddy!
Me: Why not?
Travis: He'll take away my man card! Never mind - you just don't get it!
.................
Oh my goodness! What will I do when they actually get to be MEN?? Help!!

No comments: